Sunday, July 02, 2006

About me


Hi!

This is my first blog. I don't really have the time to manage it properly now but I do post in other people's blogs and forums, which is probably the reason why you are here.

I thought that by linking you to this page you’d be able to find out a bit about me and maybe understand better where some of my opinions come from.

I was born in a small town of the Spanish Basque Country in 1963. This is a region of industrial landscapes and extensive pine plantations for the paper manufacture, very rainy all year round, sadly famous in the past for its political unrest and violence...but we have some nice mountains as well. I began hiking in the mountains at a very early age. At 16 I discovered the pristine Pyrenees mountain range not far to the east. And a passion began.

A passion that has taken me to many beautiful places on several continents. On the picture you see me doing a "solo" in the Chilean Central Andes (August 2004). I'd say the mountains of the American South Cone are the most breathtaking I have seen, especially on the eastern, rain-shadowed side of Patagonia (the western side of the Wasatch range in Utah notwithstanding).

Since I graduated in Economics in 1988 -specialty International Economy and Development- and began working shortly afterwards, I have spent a good portion of my life in Chile/Argentina but I now live in the US Intermountain West.


Apart from loving mountains and natural landscapes (deserts can equally be spectacular and fascinating) and even though it doesn’t have a lot to do with it, I’m also interested in economic theory. I can bore to death my wife and friends with my lectures on development strategies, business cycles or the effects of regulations (including taxation and monetary policy) on the economy.

Finally, I must also confess to being one of those weathernuts who will everyday check the temperature records and the pressure systems, possibly for various locales around the world. This does have an advantage for my wife though, she always knows what clothes to go out with.

Mikel

7 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Heiko said...

Hello Mikel,

nice to see you posting again somewhere, I didn't spot your blog last time, when we had discussion over on Coby's blog.

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, dad! Nice to see you're doing ok!
I gotta go to work soon, so I'm afraid I'll only say "hi" this time XD.

You've posted very interesting data, btw.

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

¡NEGACIONISTAS EN ACCIÓN!

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Che Ojala que estes guardando la otra sobre "ice changes" at CT para pruebas en el future Saludos Vincent

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Mikel, parece que te da menos pereza argumentar en enfrentamientos directos que escribir en tu blog ¿por qué no le haces un favor a la Humanidad incluyendo aquí los enfrentamientos extraordinariamente argumentados con invitados-físicos que he tenido la fortuna de leer y demás habitantes internauticos que no habré encontrado?. Aunque sea los links. De verdad, merecen la pena (eso ya lo sabes, esa lucidez no puede convivir con la inseguridad).
Gracias

Natalia

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Mikel Mariñelarena said...

Gracias Natalia:-) La verdad es que sí, me da mucha pereza escribir en mi blog. Si alguien comenta hay que contestarle y el asunto del calentamiento global despierta fuertes pasiones. Hay que tener mucho tiempo y dedicación para contrarrestar con argumentos sólidos la tremenda campaña catastrofista con la que nos bombardean.
Saludos,
Mikel

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Te entiendo, yo tampoco valgo para sostener un blog, funciono "a ratos", soy constante tan sólo en mi inconstancia.
Puedo sumergirme en informaciones sobre el cáncer para tomar decisiones por motivos familiares o mejor decir amorosos y cuando me convierto en un cúmulo de información, totalmente hundida, se me da por el arte, la fantasía, hasta que me oxigeno y vuelvo otra vez y sin poderlo evitar a indagar en temas farragosos en los que no tengo ni tendré nunca voz ni voto, pero que deseo comprender en profundidad.
Ya te leeré por ahí mientras no soplen otros vientos que me arrastren a temás menos trascendentes quizás, pero más gratificantes.
Un cordial saludo,
Natalia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter